Area of expertise
- Planning & Environment
- Property & Development
- Commercial Law
Partner LLM (Environmental Law), BA, LLB, GDipLegPrac
phone +61 2 4911 5469
Jim has a breadth of expertise in property development, planning and environmental and commercial law, including highly-specialised knowledge of strata and community title development.
Regularly advising property developers, local councils, state government authorities (including local development corporations), owners’ corporations, community groups and other commercial clients, Jim specialises in planning and environment, property, development and strata matters. He has extensive experience in advising and representing statutory bodies as well as strata and community bodies in contentious and non-contentious matters.
He has practised in the Newcastle / Hunter Valley region since his return in the mid-1990s and before that in the commercial and property departments of leading Sydney and London law firms.
The 2020 edition of renowned legal directory The Legal 500 notes our Property team as having ‘considerable expertise and knowledge in property/leasing issues and are responsive especially when there are strict time frames’ and ‘The team is extremely knowledgeable, efficient and good value’.
Jim’s experience includes:
- Acting on behalf of a number of prominent property development and industrial groups in Sydney and regional NSW and advising on a wide range of commercial, planning, environmental and property law issues. In particular, he has advised property development and industrial clients on major asset acquisitions and disposals, land contamination and the application of New South Wales property law and environment legislation. Jim has also assisted members of the resource industry and industrial companies in prosecutions and negotiation of settlements arising from alleged environmental infringements.
- Advising local councils, state government authorities (including local development corporations) and community groups on general property, heritage, development, and planning and environmental matters including the implications of the Heritage Act 1977 (NSW), Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (NSW) and numerous other pieces of legislation relevant to development, ownership and use of land.
- Acting on behalf of a number of property development groups and state-controlled bodies in Sydney and regional NSW advising on the planning, structuring and implementation of a large number of conventional residential and commercial subdivisions as well as ‘themed’ community title and strata title developments.
- Leader of a team acting on behalf of a national developer involved in the development and sale of several large subdivisions in the Lower Hunter region of NSW.
September 20, 2018
On 3 August 2018, the NSW Court of Appeal handed down its decision in The Owners – Strata Plan No 66375…Continue reading
- Environmental Planning Law Association
- Hunter Business Chamber
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Property Council of Australia
- Strata Community Association (NSW)
- Urban Development Institute of Australia