Area of expertise
- Planning & Environment
- Property & Development
- Commercial Law
Partner LLM, BA, LLB, GDipLegPrac
phone +61 2 4911 5469
Jim has across-the-board expertise in commercial, property development, planning and environmental law, including specialised knowledge of strata and community title development.
He has practised in the Newcastle / Hunter Valley region since his return in the mid-1990s. Before that time, he worked for a number of years in the commercial and property departments of leading Sydney law firms and in London.
Jim’s experience includes:
- Acting on behalf of a number of prominent property development and industrial groups in Sydney and country New South Wales and advising on a wide range of commercial, planning, environmental and property law issues. In particular, he has advised property development and industrial clients on major asset acquisitions and disposals, land contamination and the application of New South Wales property law and environment legislation. Jim has also assisted members of the resource industry and industrial companies in prosecutions and negotiation of settlements arising from alleged environmental infringements.
- Advising non-metropolitan local councils, state government authorities (including local development corporations) and community groups on general property, heritage, development, and planning and environmental matters including the implications of the Heritage Act 1977 (NSW), Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (NSW) and numerous other pieces of legislation relevant to development, ownership and use of land.
- Acting on behalf of a number of property development groups and state-controlled bodies in Sydney and country New South Wales and advising on the planning, structuring and implementation of a large number of conventional residential and commercial subdivisions as well as ‘themed’ community title and strata title developments.
- Leader of a team acting on behalf of a national developer involved in the development and sale of several large subdivisions in the Lower Hunter region of NSW.
Jim is presently acting on behalf of property developers, owners’ corporations, community associations and other commercial clients in connection with a number of strata and community title developments as well as planning law and environmental matters. He also has extensive experience in advising and representing strata and community bodies in contentious and non-contentious matters.
- Law Society of NSW
- Property Council of Australia