Area of expertise
- Corporate & Business
- Property & Development
- Business Succession & Estate Planning
- Competition & Consumer Law
- Intellectual Property
- Information Technology
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Joint Ventures
Consultant LLB, BEc
phone +61 2 4911 5424
With more than 30 years of experience in legal practice, Grant is one of the most senior lawyers in our national Commercial Group with comprehensive expertise in corporate, commercial and property law. His clients include a host of leading public and private sector clients throughout Australia.
Grant commenced his career as a sales engineer and then corporate solicitor with Alcoa at the time of the construction of the Portland Aluminium Smelter, which was then one of the largest infrastructure projects in Australia. These roles provided him with experience in the practical aspects of the commercial world and exposure to corporate and commercial law at national and international level.
Grant also worked as legal counsel for what is now Rio Tinto, where he provided legal advice across a variety of areas including biotechnology, aluminium and resources.
Grant is also the firm representative on International Law Referral, a global network of business lawyers, and is the exclusive Commercial Law member of the network in Australia. He is also a committee member of its Deal Makers Group.
Grant’s commercial law experience is broadly based and includes:
- International transactions – advising on international transactions including mergers & acquisitions, export of goods or services, joint ventures, establishment of foreign entities and foreign investment into Australia
- General commercial and business law – advising corporations on a range of commercial and business legal issues
- Mergers and acquisition – advising a wide range of large and small businesses
- Competition and consumer law – advising on restrictive trade practices and consumer law issues
- Corporations law – advising on corporate law issues, corporate structures and director / shareholder issues
- Manufactured products contracts – drafting and reviewing complex and major contracts for manufactured products
- Intellectual property / information technology / innovation law – advising on protection, commercialisation, licensing, distribution and collaborative research, acting for several innovative companies in all aspects of commercialisation of innovation
- Capital raisings – structuring transactions for capital raisings
- Business succession and estate planning – advising corporate groups on business succession and high net worth individuals and families on estate planning
- Dispute resolution – resolving commercial disputes.
Grant has been active in industry and community bodies. He is a founding director of Hunter Founders Forum, which is dedicated to facilitating investment opportunities in innovative enterprises and is a founding director of Hunter Angels Trust (the Hunter Valley’s first angel investing group). He also represents Moray & Agnew on HunterNet, a network of over 160 manufacturing firms representing key industries in Newcastle, the Central Coast and Hunter Valley.
- Hunter Angels
- Hunter Founders Forum
- International Law Referral (Australian representative for commercial law)
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Newcastle Business Club