Planning & Environment
Our Planning and Environmental team is well known for its expertise in the legal processes relating to land use, planning and development, planning processes and environmental considerations. Planning regulation is a changing jurisdication and can be unpredictable. The important factors are not only a deep understanding of the guiding principles of the law in this area, but moreover a proven ability to navigate the system, processes and stakeholders to get a desired result.
We work closely with our many private sector clients, including developers for small to large scale projects, shopping centre owners, office developers, small commercial / retail builders, large national franchising organisations and a broad range of commercial and retail business proprietors. We also have experience working with government departments and statutory authorities.
The cornerstone of our service is our consistent achievement of excellent results for our clients, whether as sole advisors or collaboratively as part of a client’s multi disciplinary development team.
With demonstrated success in helping to deliver some of the largest developments in Australia, each with its own complexity in terms of controls, overlays and political environment, our expert navigation of planning laws and controls has been essential in successfully realising our clients’ development plans.
Our key areas of expertise include:
- Town planning and property development subdivision
- Licensing: gaming, liquor and other
- Land acquisition, compulsory acquisition and compensation
- Due diligence
- Built, cultural and Aboriginal Heritage
- Native vegetation and native title
- Land and groundwater contamination.
We can help with:
- Planning strategy and advice
- Preparation of Planning Scheme Amendments
- Panel Hearings
- Planning Appeals and Applications for Review
- Interpretation and effect of planning schemes and related legislation for companies, government departments and statutory authorities
- Policy, compliance, regulations and related issues
- Prosecutions and Enforcement Orders
- Compulsory acquisition of land and compensation claims
- Environmental issues including land contamination, environmental audits, waste disposal, EPA works approvals and licences
- Water resources and agricultural development
- Environmental litigation, licensing, impact assessment, audits and management systems
- Appeals against open space contributions and other development levies
- Heritage Act controls and appearances before Heritage Victoria and its committees
- Land subdivisions
- Varying and removing restrictive covenants
- Residential, commercial and industrial developments
- Removal of vegetation and net gain requirements
- Enforcement proceedings.
Peter Utiger is recommended by clients for being “accessible and knowledgeable.”
Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2012